Guidance on Hele’s School 16-19 Bursary Fund
What is the bursary for?
The fund provides help to students needing support to help them to stay in full-time education. The Bursary can be used for costs such as:
- Books and Equipment
- Course Costs such as Field Trips, university Open Days etc
- DBS checks for work experience
- Exam resit entry fees
- Accommodation and Meals
- Clothing and Uniforms
Who can get a bursary?
There are 4 levels of bursary available to our students:
• Guaranteed Bursaries (Category 1)
Those most in need will be eligible for a bursary of £1,200 a year. This is for young people in care, care leavers, young people receiving income support, and disabled young people receiving both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
• Discretionary Bursaries (Categories 2-4)
Other students who need support to help them to stay in education or training may also be able to receive funds. Bursaries are awarded to students in the following groups:
- Students claiming Free School Meals (Cat 2)
- Students receiving Disability Living Allowance on its own OR students living in Households with income below £24,000 (Cat 3)
- Exceptional Circumstances (Cat 4)
How are payments made?
An application form and accompanying guidance notes will be available from your Post 16 office in September, or can be downloaded below.
Bursaries are paid directly in to your bank account and payment is dependent on you meeting the conditions of our Bursary contract. In order to receive the full amount, you must demonstrate good progress towards academic targets and attend all lessons.